Face serums are the underrated heroes of skin care. They’re extremely effective at targeting specific skin concerns, composed of active ingredients that show quick and lasting results. Yet, they are still missing in many people’s skin care routines. If you’ve ever considered using a face serum but are unsure of its benefits and ingredients, read on to know the answer to all the questions you’ve ever had about face serums!
What Is A Face Serum?
Face serums are a concentrate of active ingredients that penetrate the skin cells and show optimum efficacy for skin concerns. Basically, a face serum has powerful ingredients that penetrate into your skin to treat issues like fine lines, wrinkles, acne, and so on.
Why Do I Need A Face Serum?
The role of a face serum in a skin care routine is often misunderstood. While a face serum may contain moisturising ingredients, it is not a substitute for moisturiser. If you have been struggling with stubborn skin issues and are using an array of skin care products without seeing results, perhaps your routine is missing a serum.
Face serums come in a variety of formulations for different skin issues. Here are a few of the benefits of using a face serum:
- Serums target skin concerns like acne, fine lines, wrinkles with active ingredients.
- They have intense moisturisation capabilities but are water-based for quick absorption without leaving a sticky residue behind. Try L’Oreal Paris Revitalift 1.5% Hyaluronic Acid Serum for fully hydrated skin.
- They protect your skin from free-radical and UV damage. Choose an SPF-enriched serum for day-long sun protection.
- They can brighten and revitalise dull and tired-looking skin. Plum E-Luminence The Bright Mix Face Serum is enriched with antioxidants to treat dry and dull skin.
How Do I Use A Face Serum?
Most experts suggest applying a face serum directly after cleansing and toning for maximum absorption into the skin. This should be followed by applying a complementing moisturiser to seal in the properties of the serum. The face serum must be applied as per the instructions on the label. Many serums are applied twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed.
What Face Serum Should I Use?
Depending on your skin type and concern, you should pick a serum with ingredients that complement your needs.
- For acne-prone skin, a serum with salicylic acid and other astringents can do wonders to prevent pimples and reduce the appearance of acne scars. ENN Retouch SOS Acne Treatment has herbal oils to reduce and prevent acne.
- Several serums are made specifically with anti-ageing properties. Ingredients like collagen can reduce fine lines and wrinkles while improving the elasticity of your skin. Avene Physiolift Smoothing & Pumping Face Serum restores your skin with its vitamin-rich formulation.
- Dry and sensitive skin can benefit from the intense moisturisation that serums provide. Choose a serum with soothing and hydrating ingredients to treat irritated skin. FACES Canada Urban Balance Skin Comfort Serum has the benefits of hyaluronic acid and aloe vera extract for treating dryness.
What Skin Care Products Should I Pair My Face Serum With?
Ideally, you should pair your face serum with products targeting the same skin concerns as your face serum. Brand and ingredient compatibility can be beneficial to your skin care routine. A gentle cleanser and moisturiser to complement an effective serum can show impressive results for your skin in no time. One of the most essential factors you must consider before purchasing any skin care product is its quality. Always remember to layer heavier products like moisturiser, makeup, and sunscreen over your serum for effective absorption.
Serums are not mysterious and complicated products that only avid skin care enthusiasts use. They are a quick addition to a simple skin care routine to not only improve the current quality of your skin, but also to protect it from future damage. Adding a serum that suits your skin type and concern will have you flaunting glowing and healthy skin in no time. Try one out today to see the results yourself!
Shop The Article