For many years, brushes ruled the roost for makeup application. All of this changed when an odd egg-shaped sponge – the beauty blender – used for applying foundation, concealer, and primers broke the internet. Now, the beauty blender has become a core component of the vanity kit. However, the brush versus blender debate still rages on. While some swear by the old-school makeup brushes, others can’t stop raving about the miracle that the beauty blender is. If you are still over the fence about your preference, here is a lowdown on the key differences between a brush and beauty blender:
For years, a simple makeup brush like Elle Nylon Foundation Brush has sufficed for applying foundation and other components of makeup. Look at some of its pros and cons to understand if it is the right choice for you:
- It is the perfect applicator for achieving an airbrushed look.
- The highly bendable nature of brushes gives high precision for foundation application.
- Brushes are versatile and can be used for foundations in loose powder, cake or liquid form.
- These are perfect for full-coverage makeup.
- These can be high maintenance as they need to be cleaned frequently using a special cleanser that is quite expensive.
- If you are an amateur, you run the risk of creating a streaked effect on your face with visible blend lines, which looks extremely unappealing and unnatural.
These makeup sponges have myriad benefits, which explains their huge fan following. That said, even these blenders are not completely free of flaws. Let’s look at some of the top pros and cons of these blenders:
- Good quality blenders like MyGlamm Beauty Blender or Elle Beauty Blender press the foundation effectively onto the skin, giving a more natural, flawless finish.
- These can blend the makeup seamlessly, with no risk of streak or visible lines.
- Blenders can offer better coverage with lesser foundation.
- The smooth surface of blenders does not make the skin look flaky or give a cakey effect.
- Stippling with a blender to achieve the perfect finish can be a tad tedious and time-consuming.
- Beauty blenders need to be cleaned after every single use and not many people have the patience or time for it.
When it comes to makeup brushes versus blenders the choice boils down to your personal preferences, makeup skills, and skin type.
Cover Image Credits: othela.wordpress.com