Highlighters have been staples in makeup kits thanks to their ability to focus light and enhance the best facial features. They’ve been worn in multiple ways and are available as liquids, creams, powders and more. Come 2020, there’s gonna be a marked difference in the way highlighters are used. What constituted among the last steps of makeup now moves higher up the order, almost close to the makeup base. And, experts are calling this the Pre-Highlight trend for a reason. So here’s what you need to rock this trend and how you can do-it-yourself at home.
What To Pick
Pre-highlight works best with liquid highlighters. We don’t mind creamy sticks either, but whatever you pick needs to stay put and peer through as more layers of makeup are applied. Note Skin Perfecting Illuminator is a great multitasker that works not just as a highlighter but also a primer. We also love the iridescent glow that the coconut oil-infused L’Oreal Paris Glow Mon Amor Highlighting Drops imparts to the face. And if you’re in search of shade options, try out FACES Canada Ultime Pro Way To Glow Liquid Illuminator in Topaz, Champagne, or Rose Pearl.
How To Create The Natural Glow
- As always, begin with a well-cleansed and moisturised face. Use a primer if you want your makeup to last longer and the application to be smoother.
- Before you move on to anything else, grab the highlighter. Apply it to the high points of the face like you would normally do – to the cheekbones, forehead, and down the bridge of the nose. Or simply to any part of the face you want to enhance. Remember not to go too sheer because there are more layers of makeup coming up.
- Next, apply the concealer and foundation and blend well. This helps lighten down the shimmer and gives your skin a radiant glow that looks more natural and less made up.
- Follow with powder, a light blush, eye makeup and lip colour.
- And voila! You’ve mastered one of the hottest makeup trends of 2020!
Given this trend a try? Share your pre-highlight pics with us on Instagram.