Your hair looks greasy and limp, crying out for a good wash. The racing clock is warning you that a hair wash would mean running late. You end up wasting more time contemplating whether you can go on another day sans hair wash without risking a sticky mane atop your head. To shampoo or not is a perpetual dilemma we are faced with a couple of times every week. If that sounds like the story of your life too, we have two magical words for you – dry shampoo. Here’s everything you need to know about this life-changing beauty product that truly seems God sent:
What is Dry Shampoo?
The concept of dry shampoo is, in fact, centuries old. However, the product has gained resurgence in popularity in its modern avatar only recently, after beauty experts started recommending a decrease in hair wash frequency to maintain its health in the long run. In essence, dry shampoo comprises a combination of ingredients that can clean your hair without any water. To do so, dry shampoo absorbs oil from your hair and scalp, giving it a fresh feel and appeal.
It isn’t, however, meant to be used as a replacement for regular hair washing but as an intermediate solution. Especially to prolong the gap between washes or as a stop-gap arrangement to lend the hair a clean look. It can also come in handy when you are in an outdoor setting, like camping, and do not have ready access to water.
Dry shampoos are available in three form – powder, liquid packaged in a pump dispenser and aerosol spray.
Benefits of Dry Shampoo
As mentioned, dry shampoos are a quick fix solution for giving your hair a fresh, clean look. Some of the top benefits of dry shampoo include:
- Helps in reducing the number of hair wash cycles by blotting out the oil and grime deposits. This is especially helpful for people with oily hair, as the oil build-up tends to resurface within a day in such hair types.
- It also adds to the longevity of a blow dry. So, if you want to keep that beautiful blow-out after a haircut or styling to last a week, dry shampoo is your best friend.
- By cutting back on the number of hair washes, it also helps in conserving hair colour. As even the mildest shampoos, including the ones made for coloured hair, can make your hair colour erode quickly.
- Dry shampoo is effective in removing unpleasant odours from the hair that occur mostly due to sweat build.
- You can also use it to style unwashed hair. Just spray some mist on your hair, comb, blow dry, straighten, add waves or curls, and seal the style with a drizzle of dry shampoo.
- It also helps in soothing irritated scalp and eliminates itchiness.
How to Apply
Even though the whole idea behind using dry shampoo is to save time, it is still advisable to spend a few extra minutes to apply it the right way. And you can do that in just three simple steps:
Step 1: Hold the dry shampoo can at least 8-12 inches from the scalp and start applying in on the roots, by parting your hair in small sections to make sure the entire head gets covered.
Step 2: Hold your head upside down and massage the roots with your fingertips. If your hair feels damp, give it a gentle blow dry right at the roots at the lowest temperature setting.
Step 3: Brush your hair to evenly spread out the dry shampoo all over your head.
Dry Shampoos We Love
If you are looking to add this wondrous product to your beauty care collection, here are our top picks to try out: