It is one thing to deal with erratic breakouts from time to time, but living with acne-prone skin is a whole different struggle altogether. You try every new product with the promise of clear skin, you turn to your mom and grannies for home remedies, but your acne-riddles skin shows no mercy to your efforts. You feel like you are doomed, except, you aren’t. Not overdoing your skin care is the first rule of thumb to effectively combat acne. Instead, pick the right strategies and follow them to a T. Here are some dos and don’ts to swear by if you have acne-prone skin:
- Wait for at least 20 minutes before applying a moisturiser or cream after washing your face.
- While washing your hair, make sure you keep the conditioner off your skin, as the heavy moisturisers in it can clog the pores. Tilting your head backwards while rinsing off the conditioner is a good way to achieve this.
- Make friends with makeup like L’Oreal Paris True Match Minerals. The inert nature of these minerals does not support bacterial growth on the skin’s surface.
- If the acne problem is chronic, do not hesitate to seek medical help. Often, zits can be a manifestation of underlying problems such as hormonal imbalance or digestive issues.
- Use topical creams on the entire region that’s prone to acne and not just on existing zits. This can stop new ones from sprouting up.
- Change your pillowcase frequently and keep your mobile phone clean.
- Choose skin care products enriched with Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, Retinoid or natural ingredients like Tea Tree Oil, Green Tea or Neem. Some of the most effective formulations for acne-prone skin include Azafran Organics Tea Tree Face Wash, Kaya Acne Free Purifying Toner, Mirabelle Korea Tea Tree Essential Facial Mask, Dot & Key Transparent Sunscreen and Eau Thermale Avene Cleanance Mat Mattifying Emulsion.
- Do not wash your face too frequently, as over-cleansing can cause dryness, inflammation, tenderness without actually reducing the incidence of acne. Twice a day is adequate.
- Limit your usage of exfoliating scrubs as these can cause tiny tears on the skin surface and leave it inflamed.
- Do not squeeze, pick or pop your zits. Not only is it painful and messy but can also lead to permanent scarring.
Caring for acne-prone skin requires serious commitment, perhaps more than any other skin type. With these dos and don’ts, you’ll be able to evolve a thorough skin care regime that minimises and phases out those nasty breakouts consistently.