There are so many essentials when it comes to beauty and personal care needs. There are many products that cater to these needs. Lip balm tops this list, according to me. The reason being, the skin on your lips is a lot more sensitive and softer than rest of your body. This means you need to take extra care of them. Lip balms actually provide an extra layer, sealing the moisture, and protect them from drying. Waxes and petroleum jellies are excellent sealants, and they protect your lips from the external exposure.
I always find it difficult to find a lip balm. Err.. Really? You might be wondering. Well, Yes! I don’t want to use any lip balm I find on the aisle at a drug store. I need a lip balm that’s perfect for my lips, which can maintain the lip comfort, and also provide protection from dry air, cold temperature, the wind, and the sun. But, how do you know what’s perfect, until you try? The solution: DIY your very own Lip balm, of course!
It’s surprisingly simple to whip up a batch of lip balm or tinted gloss that’s perfectly customised to your …taste. All you need is a base of beeswax or coconut oil, a flavor, and a tint, and you’re done! There are a variety of DIY Lip balms, but this one is my favorite!
– 2 Tsp Coconut Oil
– 2 Tbsp Beeswax/You can use Vaseline as a base. I used a vaseline stick
– 10 to 15 Drops of Lime Essential Oil
– Popsicle Stick
– Any cosmetic powder that has pigment; I used an eyeshadow, as I just wanted the shimmer. It’s totally optional!
“Is it safe to use eyeshadow on lips? Yes, many vibrant eyeshadow shades are achieved by the use of very safe iron oxides, yet may also contain Ultramarines, Ferric Ferrocyanide and Chromium Oxides, approved safe for topical skin application found in a mineral makeup product and all other forms of cosmetics, but not for use in lipstick or lip gloss”
- Melt the beeswax or the vaseline in a Pyrex jar, this forms the base to your lip balm.
- Once, the beeswax or the vaseline, melts completely, add coconut oil to this. I had already infused the lime essential with the coconut oil. So, I just mixed this with the base.
- You can use any other essential oil of your choice, based on your liking.
- Mix the mixture using the popsicle stick, before adding in the pigment.
- Scrape a little bit of the eyeshadow using a Q-tip to this mixture, and mix it well.
- Add the eyeshadow according to the pigmentation. If you are using a highly pigmented eyeshadow, I recommend using a little.
- Allow the mixture to set, it usually sets within minutes.
You’ve successfully created your very own lip balm! Use pretty containers, share it with your friends, and family! It is great for gifting!